Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"No. I'm not having twins."



Usually when I go out, I always have some random person comment on my pregnant status. Starting around 4 or 5 months (til the time I give birth) I have conversations that for the most part goes like this.


Stranger: You must be having your baby soon.

Me: No. Still have ______ more months to go.

Stranger: Really?! Are you having twins?

Me: Nope. There's just one in there.

Stranger: Oh WOW! You're really big!

I had this same exact conversation during my first pregnancy, and now with my second. I used to get offended and sometimes even cry to Cameron. Bad enough pregnant women already feel huge and not very pretty, and then you have complete strangers just "kick" you even more. People can be so stupid and rude sometimes. I think I have gotten way better since being pregnant with Na'u. I just smile and don't react to any comments. I've just accepted the fact that I get huge when pregnant and it's okay. Just as long as baby and I are healthy, thats all that matters.


Two weeks ago I went in for my 7th month check up. My regular doctor wasn't in so I had to see one of the other doctors that was available.

Doc: (He measures my stomach) "You're right on target. You are exactly what you should be."

Me: "I love hearing that. Most people just tell me that I'm big." (At every check-up my doctor always tells me that I'm right on.)

Doc: "Well, how much have you gained?"

Me: "Um...around # lbs."

Doc: While looking at my chart, "Actually you're a little under. With how far along you are, you're under."

Me: (Feeling good) "Well, how many weeks am I?" (I know how far along only month wise.)

Doc: "Um...looks like you're 35 weeks."

Me: "Really?....I didn't think I was that far along."

Doc: "You're due in....July right?"

Me: "Yeah. July 10th."

Doc: Thinking. "Wait that doesn't make sense. Hold on just a minute."
He then walks out and comes back in. "Yeah. You're only 31 1/2 weeks. You are big."



He explained to me that since I was measuring the size that I needed to be in 4 weeks, he was concerned for baby's weight. He then proceeds to schedule an ultrasound for the following week.

I got home and explained the whole thing to Cameron. I was worried. Was he really too big? Why? Is something wrong with him? Was I going to have to give birth to a 10 lbs baby? If baby was getting too big too fast, would they induce me early? Tons of questions ran through my head and I had to wait a whole week for my ultrasound. It felt sooo long.

My appointment rolled around and we went to the Queen's Women's Health Center as a family, me, Cam and Na'u. I was excited to see my little man again but not looking forward to find out if anything was wrong.

We got to see his face (I think that he's going to have big lips :), torso, little fingers and toes, his heart beat, and yes, he is still a boy. Since he's alot bigger from the original 5 month ultrasound, we could see eveything loud and clear.






We even caught him yawning.


The doctor said that everything with baby looked fine and that he was measuring at a chubby, but normal, 4 lbs 8 oz. She showed baby's head on my bottom right side with his okole coming around my left, legs stretched back across the top of my belly with his feet ending by his head. She went back to my left side and pointed out a large dark area explaing that it was fluid. From what she could see, it looked like there was alot more fluid than normal. The pictures taken were still going to be analyzed but the extra fluid was probably causing my bigness. She also said that it will be up to my regular doctor on how closely he wants to watch this but that they would be more concerned if there wasn't enough fluid.

I left the appointment happy and content with the results. We are both doing great and just about 7 more weeks to go. I know that Heavenly Father is watching over us and I feel so blessed to be entrusted with another child. I'm so grateful to be a mom and especially for all the blessings that we enjoy.




Oh yeah...now when people tell me I'm big, I can tell them that my belly is mostly fluid :).


17 comments:

Cherisse said...

Oh Lohi, you look so cute! The ultrasound pics are adorable!!! I know he will be one handsome little guy! I hope all goes well these last couple of weeks! For me this last time I could hardly walk at the end because I was sooo uncomfortable. So, hopefully you are doing better than I did!

Sherene said...

I love the ultrasound pics of our little nephew. Can't wait to meet him! I was serving in YWs when I was pregnant, and every Sunday they told me how much bigger I was than last week. So, I can understand unneeded comments. You look amazing!

The Guirola-Uyema's said...

Nice pictures... I really like the one where you're measuring ur belly. I'm gonna go measure mine right now.
As for the chair, you know we NEVER use it-so I figure we should sell it and use the space for better things-like Carlos playing space or something...
Plus, I've gotten into the "nesting" stage in my pregnancy where I HAVE to clean out my house constantly. Always messy still, but I try to work on it always. :)

Chris and Channy said...

yep, that's the right attitude. as long as you and baby are healthy, that's all that matters. i love the pic of his lips. kaehu has a cho-cho lip pic like that too (maybe cuz they got their "photos" done at the same place). :)

Aho, Gabs, Waiola, and Kupa'a said...

People are stupid!! You have one, healthy, buff little boy in there. The new ultrasound pictures are sooo good. It's so clear. And I love the lips. Can't wait till he's here.

Lonigurl said...

Leihua had her baby on Thursday night. I got to watch the whole delivery....it was quite interesting. She had a girl, Taylor-Ann. I think there will be enough to see if you just take your time and enjoy each place. The people we were taking were just so rush rush that's why we ran out of places. They did eastend and westend by themselves all in one day, so by Sunday all that was left was Hoolehua side, so we did the lookout and phallic rock and Moomomi. Those people just weren't the right people to visit Molokai, they didn't really appreciate all the places and weren't willing to really go see stuff, they just wanted to pick opihi, which made me kind of mad because I mean there are other things to our island besides that. Gaby and Aho are chill though so I think with them, you'll have plenty to do because you'll want to stay and enjoy the beaches not just see it and leave. You can always drive to Halawa that takes up alot of time! :) Nice ultrasound good luck with the rest of the pregnancy.

Meredith said...

Good luck with your last few weeks!....it is getting closer!

harmony said...

congrats cameron & lohi! when i was pregs i used to get those weird, long stares from strangers and my hubby thought i was just being paranoid. so i told him to watch people next time we went out and sure enough he was like, "yeah you're right!! people DO stare!" it was probably because i was a blimp. but yeah, i remember how people could be so rude & thoughtless. like, helloooo - do YOOOU enjoy hearing that you're huge? silly rabbits. anyway, sorry for the novel - just wanted to say congrats - and you look great! lol!

HaYn Mama said...

I feel your pains girl... I get super big when I'm pregos... I've induced my last three deliveries and there's so much fluid that my dr. (when I had Kolu) said, "nurse you need to start building an ark cuz there's going to be a flood!" Luckily I have a great sense of humor and laughed instead of crying. You look great and just think only a little more than a month to go... hopefully your dr. will let you induce as soon as you're dilated at a 2 like my doc does for me.
My gosh the memories I have of wanted to stick finger at everyone who told me I looked like I was having twins, boo! I really feel your pain!

Heather B said...

You really are beautiful and your belly is too. People are way dumb with their comments, but you're right, it is easier the second time around. If it makes you feel any better, my aunt just gave birth to baby #3. She measured 5-6 weeks further along than she actually was for the whole second half of her pregnancy. Turned out she had a TON of extra fluid, but she had a perfect, healthy (and little!) 6 lb 8 oz baby. Your little boy will probably be a great swimmer! I'm excited for you. It was so fun to see you last week.

Leo said...

lohi, you look great! good luck with the final weeks. they are definitely the hardest for me. can't wait to see pics of the little guy!

Malia said...

You are a beautiful pregnant woman! So blessed to carry these precious little ones. You look fantastic! I can say that for sure after just seeing you in person :)

pomai♥stephen said...

i totally know how you feel! i get that a ton up here too. everyone has small babies so for me to have 8lb babies is a shocker for them. but hey, i'm hawaiian so thats what we have:) i get "are you having twins?" and "you must be ready to pop!" all the time. im 7.5 months and just because i look big doesn't give anyone the right to say so! i totally know how you feel:(

Clarke & Lia said...

Cute post Lohi... Don't worry, you look good for 8 months pregnant. there's no way in the universe I would post a pic. of me @ 8 months pregnant. It's all in your tummy... Mine shows EVERYWHERE!!!
Lia

PS. Keep them posts coming! I'm sooo impressed!!!

BETS & VETS said...

You look great, I totally know how you feel though- however in your case it's all in your stomach. In my case with my son it was pretty much all me( I was an elephant)- your almost there reaching the home stretch good luck!

Beccarigg said...

Lohi you are absolutely gorgeous and people are just clueless sometimes when it comes to commenting on pregnant bellies. When I was pregnant with Teya I taught Jr. High. Yeah, you can imagine the kinds of things a bunch of 13 year olds had to say about my belly. My favorite was one day I was eating a rice crispy treat at the back of the classroom and a kid came up to me and said, "Miss Rigg, throw that away, you DO NOT need to get any bigger!" LOL! Awesome! Also when I was 7 months pregnant with Brinley I walked into a gas station and the lady working there said, "Oh my goodness! Get some towels and hot water, this one looks like she's gonna burst any minute!" Nice. So yeah, don't worry about what people say because sometimes they are just clueless. You look great and we're excited to see this baby boy!

Laulu Love said...

hEY HAVE you guys had boy yet?? were anxiously awaiting your next post with your boy!!!