Last weedend we went to the Aloha Week Parade. I'm pretty sure that every island has this and different festivities through out this time of year. But I know for sure they have it on Moloka'i. I grew up going to the parade and the ho'olaule'a, but this was the first time that I went here on Oahu.
Here we are on the median waiting for the parade to start.
I was a bit sad that Na'u didn't get to see all of this because she was on Moloka'i again. I knew she would have loved it all. Maybe next year.
For these Aloha Week festivities, they have a royal court that attends all the different events.
...and for the parade, they have pa'u riders that represent each island. There is a princess and her court. These riders (and horses) are dressed in their island color. They are soooo beautiful. Secretly I've always wanted to be one :). They look so graceful guiding their horse to either side of the street, smiling and bowing to everyone. I figure I can ride a horse and smile, should be nothing to it :). Here is....
Moloka'i
Ni'ihau
Oahu
Maui
Lana'i
This is one of my hula sisters from Ka Pa Hula O Ka Lei Lehua. She did awesome!
Here is a close-up of Lana'i's horse's adornments. BEAUTIFUL! Alot of work goes into preparation starting weeks in advance.
And here's our friend Mandy who was singing and playing ukulele behind Lana'i's pa'u riders.
Kaho'olawe
Kaua'i
Big Island
There were many bands that participated. Here is Cameron's high school Marching Band. He said he marched in this parade when he was a freshman. It was "super hot, and super long." In fact, they're wearing the same uniform.
There were floats that came by all beautifully decorated with native flowers. Some even had hula dancers like this one.
We had so much fun. Can't wait til next year!
FYI-All pictures and videos were taken with our iphones :).
Thursday, September 30, 2010
Aloha Week Parade
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Sorry we missed it. Aho came home and asked if I wanted to go, but he was so exhausted, we decided not to. We haven't been in years. And Lohi, I've always wanted to be a pa'u rider too. Then again, anything having to do with riding horses and I'm in. ;) Oh, and btw, SUPER nice shots from your iphones.
That is sooooo funny...last night at Chuck E. Cheese I was going to tell you that I always wanted to be a pa'u rider, but I refrained. Hehe. Looks like Gabs is on the same page. Maybe one year we can all do it together. ;) Last year Sarai was in the parade with Punana Leo and by the time her float reached us over by Walls, she and some of her classmates were knocked out. LOL! Anyway, wish we could've joined you guys this year. Hopefully next year we can go together. :)
P.S. I randomly checked your blog today and lo and behold, a new post put up TODAY! Yay!
Post a Comment