Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A "Very Hungry" Halloween

For some odd reason, I feel the need to (1) make our costumes from scratch and (2) have them all matching. Every year I know this is what I want to do but don't actually decide on the theme til I am forced to because Halloween is right around the corner. I decided on the book, "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" as our theme the tuesday before Halloween. Boy was my plate full. I spent numerous nights staying up way past my bed time but I did it. I'm very happy the way each costume turned out.

Loli'i was the cutest caterpillar ever!


My Iwi boy was the watermelon. I loved that his costume was poncho style with no other accessories. It was perfect for him because I'm sure I would find pieces of his costume all over the ground.


My Na'u was the beautiful butterfly.
I made those wings out of wire hangers which were pretty sturdy. As we were trick-or-treating around our neighborhood, she kept on smacking other kids in the face as she walked by them. I had to keep on telling her, "sideways babe, walk sideways."

I was a simple cotton candy.
We didn't exactly have the book with us to remind us of the actual food that were in the story but I was totally sure that cotton candy was in there. We found out after Halloween that it wasn't but shhhhh....don't tell anyone :). The caterpillar still could have eaten it but just didn't document it.

We hope that everyone had a fun and festive Halloween!


P.S.-Our dad wanted to be grapes but the store was all out of purple balloons. So he ended up being Michael Jackson :).



6 comments:

liko said...

michael jackson's not in the story?!
my favorite part was when you had to remind your daughter to walk sideways!

Hogg Family said...

I always had homemade costumes when I was growing up but my poor kids have a mom who has no idea how to do that stuff...shoot! AWESOME job Lohi!! You guys look amazing!

Unknown said...

I love your costumes! I am exactly the same way about feeling the need to make matching homemade costumes and since we don't have kids yet we always borrow my brothers. We did Wizard of Oz this year http://sioneandalana.blogspot.com/2011/10/happy-halloweenwere-off-to-see-wizard.html

Beccarigg said...

So stinking cute!! You and Channy, MAN! You girls go all out for Halloween! I love it! Coordinated costumes are the CUTEST! LOVE Na'u's wings, beyond awesome! And I like the addition of cotton candy, they totally should've put that in the original story ; )

Cherisse said...

You guys look great! I LOVE the costumes! Lohi, you always do such an amazing job with the halloween costumes! I like family themes!

Roxanibus said...

I LOVE your costumes, and I love the pictures! You guys are so talented. Even your "quick decorations" on facebook were awesome!